New Poetry Recommendations

Last edited:
I would also like to comment on Aphrodite's Art by Irania, it is absolutely beautiful and I loved it ....... well done Irania and thankyou so much for sharing

Friday September 11th Recommendations

Friday had 11 New Poems posted. Of these, La Piqure by Tristesse2 is sure to give you the itch. I also really liked Hmmnmm's abdicate. Anyone who has had to face a difficult transition, burn bridges, put everything in storage, well, you know. Check out this poem and Hmmnmm's hot all over. I did not like Mythologising because I think Helen gets a rather bad rap and is not rescued in this poem, but I do admire the effort of it and think that many of you would really dig it. Clearly, SweetOblivion has skillz, as they say. Last but not least, check out the yummy near-rhymes in hmmnmm's one night stanza.

Last edited:
UnderYourSpell "Red Sky at Night" received an E for good reason. Fantastic poem, hopefully an H follows. Whoever gave her the E, pat yourself on the back, you've recognized top of the line poetry.

UnderYourSpell "Red Sky at Night" received an E for good reason. Fantastic poem, hopefully an H follows. Whoever gave her the E, pat yourself on the back, you've recognized top of the line poetry.

Thank you, Epmd, for mentioning UYS's poem. Please, if anyone else would like to add a poem to today's review, please, please, do so. I am feeling horribly ill with bronchitis and I'm gonna have to take a sick day from doing today's review.

Wed and Thurs, Sep 16-17

I'll cover today and yesterdays new poems
I didn't find that much striking - some bits here and there. Mostly lust and love - both lost and found.

UnderYourSpell has already done the month's challenge with an nice lilibonelle with Dance the Dance

Last edited:
Friday September 18th

There were 13 New Poems on Friday, many of these quite unusual and worth a look. japacumslut's illustrated poem Bondage in Black and White is bound to strike a note with erotic photography lovers. Read vrosej10's Tsina after this one to complete the experience, I think. Aftermath_day_after has posted an interesting exercise called Sex word novels that are meant to be entire stories in six words. Initially I made the mistake of trying to find continuity in these, but just take each one at a time and you might get a pleasant smirk or two.

Sappho's Sister has posted a lovely little verse If This is Love. The territory is familiar, but her ear is sound, making the poem pleasant in the mouth. Though there are small errors in UYS's I knew his brother, the moving story makes it worth a read. I hope she gives it a thorough polish when Survivor is over. My fave for the day by far was DeepGreenEyes' poem Thomas Fucking Jefferson which is razor sharp. Don't miss it. Hope everyone is having a marvelous weekend!

Last edited:
Monday, September 21, 2009

Being that I am still quite ill, I will just make a few quick mentions of some of the new poems that I liked.

I liked the double dactyl, J Robert Oppenheimer, by EroticOrogeny, though I don't think "Robert Oppenheimer" is a double dactyl name. I read that as stressed on the 1st and 3rd syllables instead of the 1st and 4th as I think it is supposed to be for a double dactyl (though I could be wrong).

Seeing You Around and Contrition by SweetOblivion are well worth the read.

Panorama by Middleagepoet is also well worth the read. It has some great descriptions.

Friday September 25th

There were 18 New Poems on Friday. Starting from the bottom, because it's fun to start from the bottom, I hit SweetOblivions Savage Cuts which makes an interesting BDSM/economic connection reminiscent of the wall street scene of The Happy Hooker. I also found Miss_Trust's Alzheimer's poem engaging and sad. I also felt a connection to her poem Not for Me. It was very accessible for me: I've been that girl.

UYS's He Steals her Purse Anyway packs a powerful punch at the end, made more powerful by the tin of biscuits. Pushkine's Material Girl gave me a much-needed giggle (Thank You!!). Those are my recommendations from Friday. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Last edited:
On Monday Evening

Some recommendations covering the last three days.

Saturday, September 26, saw three short poems of interest from miss_trust:
Any love
Don't ask if you don't want to know
What Isn't
Short but nuanced, these poems recognize the complexity of life and avoid the trite solutions that solve nothing.

Sunday, September 27:
UnderYourSpell provides more evidence of her poetic acuity with In solid rows, though I don't understand the purpose of having all those caps in the lines of the poem. It proved distracting for me and I had to struggle beyond the effect of the caps to appreciate the poetry. To depart so radically from typographic convention should have some purpose which I failed to find. Perhaps it is meant to create a funereal pace in the reading, but it did not work for me. Other than that it is a very well-crafted and mature poem.
UYS's See that child, on the other hand, is a perfect little gem which begins by seeming inconsequential until you allow yourself to become immersed in the experience the poet is recording. A "child is parent to the adult" experience ensues when the light comes on.

greenmountaineer, presents a cryptic poem, Goose in a Bottle, that tantalizes with its mysterious allusions. Fortunately he has also provided an explanation in the comments section to the poem. At some level, the poem is commenting on the dangers of burying our heads in the sand, or so it seems to me. Definitely a poem worth wrestling with.

Monday, September 28:
Today, hmmnmm tantalizes with Mexicali, a poem of ancient wisdom that I enjoyed until the allusion to Asia in the last stanza left me perplexed. Still, a challenging poem worth engaging with.

Last edited:
Wednesday

The crop this week is thin on the ground like snow on a summer's afternoon but peach77 has two rather delightful short offering worthy of meditating on.

Ragdoll and Thistle have a quality about them reminiscent of naif paintings. Both poems have a disarming simplicity but suggest a thoughtful poet and provoke a thoughtful response.

Thursday, Oct 1 Recommendations

There are several new poems today

I recommend Wall of sugar by peach77, a cute little poem characterizing over-eating as means of avoidance.
THis is my favorite for the day. Some lost love and lust found poems, musings on life. I found I am TROLL by CafeExtreme interesting. Didn't try to decode i M 4 U too much (sort of looks like a computer malfunction, but really is deliberate)

Last edited:
Monday, October 05, 2009

There are 12 new poems today. Let's see what goodies are among the collection..

Currency by SweetOblivion is a fine, erotic poem. SweetOblivion has certainly given us some gems this year. I like how the metaphor is reinforced without being overstated.

Greenmountaineer gives us Mother and Daughter Cantata. These 4 lines caught my eye:
It is instead the queen
Really was a nice lady
But for the looking glass,
Fairy tales are parables​
Which to me could be read: "It is instead the queen really was a nice lady, but for the looking glass," or "But for the looking glass, fairy tales are parables."
I would say the first line is that stanza is a little awkward to me, but I thoroughly enjoyed this poem.

Arrangements #3 by hmmnmm is quite a ride. Hmmnmm makes you think with phrases like "quicksand laughter" and an ending like
Yeah
that
bitch
poem
was a svelte-built savvy match
for my legendary art-killer skills.

What Aodhan Taught Me by ShadowLor is a good poem, but I am not sure it would qualify as a huitain due to the slant rhymes. I'm not an expert on that particular form, but I think of sonnet forms as having clear, exact rhymes. (Though that could just be my perception.)

Let's wrap this up with a haiku from Middleagepoet called back and forth. I like that even though this is a moment captured in poetry, it has an everlasting feel to it.

Recommendations for poems appearing Tuesday, October 6

Today Hmmnmm offers two delightful poems on the theme of wrestling-with-my-muse. Germans #1 and German #2 need to be read in sequence as an autobiography of the birthing of an artist. Fascinating in both form and content these poems show Hmmnmm as a master of the art he practices.

Levitating_Bed provides us with an entirely satisfying morsel in Poetry, a self-deprecating reflection on the role of poet with a real gem of a metaphor at the end.

Wednesday's recommendations

Nookybear's Maturity, an illustrated poem, stands out as my favorite of Wednesday's submissions. It takes maturity to find beauty in maturity and it is always touching to find a lover appreciating the inner beauty of the person they desire. This poem succeeds in melding spiritual beauty with a robust appreciation for the sensuous.

Ph4nSy's Mistress is a well constructed poem which explores the pain of being the "other."

Vrosej10 rounds out today's recommendations with punani haiga an illustrated poem that is provocative (in the good sense of that word) and left me to build my own sense of the story behind the lines.

Last edited:
You can Kiss me on a Thursday . . .

Hmmnmm continues his saga of an art hitman with Germans #3 and Germans #4. In Germans #3, though still in the vein of the first two poems in this series, the poet breaks from his style of short lines and produces what seems a more conversational tone. He has a lot of fun with the tricky little haiku that "does that sultry midair dance."

However, Germans #4 sees our intrepid hero really going over the top with a monster story of halfbreed lizards (the product of a poem raping a lizard) that goes on and on and on until it begins to tickle. A total fucking riot by the end. (But you have to work your way through a very long poem to get your reward.) Quite amazing, really. This is the type of poetry Dick Tracy would have written, had he been overcome by that pesky parasite, the poem.

Last edited:
Friday's crop

New Poems Here

Cal Y. Pygia's The Passion of Your Sperm is my favourite of Friday's new poems. Pygia has that rare ability to write in-your-face erotic poetry that has literary merit. His erotic poems are never simply pleasurable little rides through sexual delights that are enjoyable while they last, then quickly forgotten. He manages to shatter complacency and provokes his readers into expanding their horizons by presenting the ancient rituals of love and lust in completely unexpected ways. Sometimes harsh, his imagery is crystal clear even when it unsettles. Today's poem illustrates this ability that we have seen in earlier submissions by this poet.

miss_trust provides a poem about the struggle to create in Subtext

Middleagepoet offers up two poems of interest today: Air Show and single gull. The latter seems to be a companion to an earlier submission by this poet, hush of waves.

[It should be noted that recommendations are subjective, i.e., what triggered a reaction in me. There are other new poems in Friday's submissions that didn't push any of my buttons, but I know they will be liked by others. If you are interested in poetry, you should check out all of the day's submissions. It's not going to take that long to read them all and go back to those you liked for seconds. Enjoy!]
:rose:

Last edited:
It's been a while

New Poems Here

No recommendations posted since Friday, so I'm playing catch-up as hastily as I can while still doing some sort of justice to all those submissions.

Right off the bat, I notice a striking new presence (both to poetry submissions and to Literotica) in 19-year-old freak4candy. This new poet has submitted a number of poems over the last few days. These poems are gritty and they seem to get better as the days go by. She began somewhat low key (compared to what is coming) with The Awakening and Obituary for the Bug on Monday.

Tuesday's submissions from this poet are For Taije, on Inspiration (far more serious than her first two), I'll Be Dead in a Year (the content gives pause), Response to "The Butter Battle" definitely her most satisfying to date and the least gritty ofthose that I've read, (But I do like her for her grittiness in other poems) and Tainted, a disturbing poem that needs something.

On Wednesday we find, from the same writer, Alcoholism (which is a seriously gritty poem) and I Was Four the First Time I Died (this one really punches straight between the eyes).

Perhaps some of you poets with far more refined poetic sensitivity than I possess, can offer this new poet some critical help with what appears to me to be a promising future as a poet.

OK, let's backtrack:

Three new poems on Saturday— all interesting:

DeepGreenEyes gives us Pompeii and Cancer;
EroticOreogeny provides Thong's Thoughts; and
Cal Y. Pygia contributes five poems in one submission, Missy and Other Poems.

Sunday's poem's that caught my attention:

SoshiSed's Big Girls Don't Bleed
Middleagepoet's collecting and at sunrise / in sunlight;
Cal Y. Pygia's To Come and Come is an interesting departure from this versatile poet's recent submissions.
Levitating_Bed's Love is interesting and, though a little awkward, is well worth the read.

--OK so I tried to do Monday as well but I think I'm losing my judgement after evaluating so many poems. I'm taking a break in the hope that someone else will jump in with Monday's submissions (and even Saturday and Sunday if you like something I've left out)--

Last edited:
Submissions appearing on Monday, October 12

New Poems Here

wife2hotblk began my day with two submissions. Messy is a light-hearted look at how messy everything is and First Kiss is a sweetly remembered celebration of that magic moment.

See above for the recommendations of freak4candy's poems submitted on this day.

Last edited:
Submissions appearing on Tuesday, October 13

New Poems Here

EroticOrogeny submits a tough form piece that I wouldn't even attempt to emulate in his poem, Hammer Dance

ShadowLor provides a very satisfying form poem (I don't know too much about form but this one has an interesting pattern of repeats) in The Man Who Wasn't There and a fun little piece in From Your Forgotten Friend

ClaudetteLauzon's Meeting Buddha at the Clinic would be perfect if she'd just fix that first line. ClaudetteLauzon is another of the new to Literotica poets that is full of promise. Her prose is pretty startling as well.

Bombalurina's Pant is a refreshing and creative retelling of a very ancient tale.

Last edited:
Back